Monday 8 April 2013

Thatcher

Your time is your time.

I went to University the same year as Margaret Thatcher became leader of the Conservative Party.

And from the first moment she featured in my consciousness as "even more right wing than Ted Heath!", I was opposed to everything she stood for.

I still am. For in the midst of all the retrospective "she changed the country" tributes, I won't forget the callous  way in which that was achieved, or ever believe that much of that change was for the better.

But all day today I have had not a sense of satisfaction but rather a sense of loss.

I  fought Mrs Thatcher and her ideas pretty much all my life. And now she's gone.

The fight will go on but it will never be quite the same.

Rest in Peace Mrs T. If only we'd had a leader like you.







No comments:

Post a Comment